Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Recruit

Default Frame & Machine building

I've been tattooing for a couple of years and have decided to build my own machines from the frame up, but I'm looking for a good starting point. I am planning on using a mild steel (1018 low carbon grade) for the frame and I'll be welding it together, because I dont have a mill or lathe. I am looking for some suggestions on dimensions (standard legnths and hole positioning), tips and tricks of machine building, the basic "how to's" of it all. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I could just look at the machine measurements that I currently use or have used in the past but I am wanting to get other arts/ builders point of view and suggestions so I have the knowledge to build it right. If its easier PM and Ill shoot you my email.

Thanks, Justin

Last edited by AnarchyArts; 11-28-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Default Re: Frame & Machine building

not to sound like a tool, but huck spaulding has frames that have only the holes drilled, so you can shape the frame anyway you want, and they are oil treated 1018 steel. i was thinking about getting a couple, but i dont have what i need to get them the way i want.

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Recruit

Yeah I looked at them and there is another company (www.buzzmachines.net) based out of Canada that makes iron, steel, and brass blanks, but I am really wanting to make it all myself. I know its going to be a trial an error process, I am just looking for a good starting point as far as dimensions and hole placement goes. I have all the tools needed with exception to a mill and lathe.

Thanks for the response and post a pic of what you end up building from spaulding & rodges frames. they look like quality frames.

Be easy, Justin
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Recruit

Looking on Pulse tattoo supply's catalog they offer different spring gauges, what is the difference between a 16g, 18g, or 20g springs?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

first off, the thickness of springs aren't measured by guage, they are measured by thousanths like .018 .020. and its pretty self explanatory, .020 is 20 thousanths of an inch. if your trying to build machines and you dont know what that means, that tells me you dont know alot of other stuff too. building machines isn't an over night thing. im not trying to be a douche, it just seems like your going to get over your head.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Recruit

I know how the springs are measured but if you look on their web catalog they offer 16, 18, and 20 gauge back springs. my question was what is the difference and benefits of using a 16g vs a 20g rear spring?

getting in over my head, you say?...well at one point even today's best machine builders didn't know what they were doing. Maybe you should be a little more encouraging instead of advising me to quit while I'm a head.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchyArts View Post
I know how the springs are measured but if you look on their web catalog they offer 16, 18, and 20 gauge back springs. my question was what is the difference and benefits of using a 16g vs a 20g rear spring?

getting in over my head, you say?...well at one point even today's best machine builders didn't know what they were doing. Maybe you should be a little more encouraging instead of advising me to quit while I'm a head.
what tom was trying to tell you in a nice way is, how are you going to build machines when you dont even know what the different guages of the springs are used for. your mentor should have taught you all of that when you did your apprenticeship..there are alot of people that come on here and try to get info when they are working out of their home ect. he was being nice about it, i have seen much harsher responses..good luck..my best advice i can give you is get all of the right tools you're going to need and do what it in your head..machine building is an art..
Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchyArts View Post

first off, i never said to quit, second, if you dont know what thicker and thinner springs do to a machine, then your machines are going to run like s&!t, if you even get them running at all. and what about thicker or thinner timing springs, and what about capacitors, and what about different size a-bars? there is so much to learn about machines, and obviously you dont know the first thing about them, do you even tattoo?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Recruit

Yes, I tattoo and I have been for about 2 years now, and no I'm not some garbage scratcher out of house either! Truth be told, knowing what I know now I would have never done my apprenticeship where I did, although it was a good clean shop to get my foot in the door. The guy I apprenticed under doesn't really seem to know much about the machines he works with, even though he has been tattooing for 10 years, and I am simply trying to become a better more well rounded artist. But that is a difficult task when you are pretty much are teaching yourself, I figured I could ask those stupid simple questions about things I "should" already know, and maybe get a simple straight forward answer. I might be behind the power curve on learning the science behind a tattoo machine but I take great pride in what in my work and I'm sure it will be the same for building a machine. Once I get my machine built I'll post some pics and see what you fellas think. I didn’t mean to get off on the wrong foot.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Private

I've been building for a long time and tom is being nice so no need to get hostile. Best way for you to learn is to tear your machines apart and put them back together about a hundred times. Sounds s&!tty but if a person asked you how to tattoo would you just say, "Hell yea, all you need to do is ......."? If so then you are part of the problem with the industry today. This is a craft and has to be protected from people who would use it for a quick buck and hurt people and the craft. Also just because you went through an apprenticeship doesn't mean that builders will open up to you. True builders are a whole different club LMAO.

ps. Haven't you changed a set of springs in two years? If not then try it and see what happens.

Last edited by Classic; 11-30-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Tags
building, frame, machine