Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default tube sleeve

i am not sure if anyone has an answer to this question. i recently bought a huge roll of tube sleeve from kingpin, and it came without the box dispenser that i am used to tube sleeve coming in. its just a big roll. i called kingpin and they didnt know what to tell me to use for a dispenser. does anyone know if there is any type of dispenser out there for a 2" tube sleeve roll? or any other suggestions on what i should do.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Private

Default Re: tube sleeve

I would either precut the needed lengths so they are ready to go or make a sexy dispenser (like a supersized tape dispenser with a flip top cover over it) that can be mounted to the wall.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Private

for a slight mark up in price , you can get the same footage of sleeves from eikon that are precut to 24 in and come in a nice lil box . something like that big roll just freaks me out ?!?!
maybe you could just mount a thick dowel rod to the wall and let the roll lay flat against it ? pull and cut as ya go .
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Platoon Sargent

Pre-cut them all up when your not busy, your going to have to do it one at a time anyways. Place them neatly in a fitting container. Or, Take a box with close enough dimensions to the full roll, cut a slit about center facing the direction desired. With metal snips cut a strip of the metal cutting band from a Cling Wrap box and staple it to your new nifty created box just at the slit you cut. If you require a spindle for it to unroll freely in the box, a peg shoved through the box should prevent hangs. Good luck
Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 PM
underwear is optional...
Corporal

wonder if you did this to a box for Dental Barrier film if that would work?? justa thought!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Private

i use a single roll and i just cut it to size everytime i go to do a tattoo i like it cuz if im just doing a small name than i dont need a whole 24 in of it i just use a foot but larger pieces moving my cord around alot i use up to 3 ft i also use an 8 foot cord too
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
wonder if you did this to a box for Dental Barrier film if that would work?? justa thought!!!
I think a peg would work great, I know what your speaking of. How it kinda hangs up or bounces around, especially when the roll is nearly depleted. If the peg were to hang out a lil' further on one side you could use it as a brake to keep it from freely spinning if the spool of material were affixed to the axis of the peg. The braking would provide more resistance making it easier to cut with the improvised cutting strip as well.
If you want a good one that's going to last forever, you could make a box that would fit multiple rolls of any material out of acrylic sheets (aka plexiglass).
Get your overall dimensions (bottom panel will not need to be on material list, this will be your access to refill the unit and minimize the dust levels) and take your blueprint measurements to Lowes, they have a plexi station where they cut any size and thickness to your specifications, It's a free service provided by them for your purchase of the material. On the shelves nearby you will find an adhesive made specifically for bonding the acrylic panels together. They also have solid acrylic pegs available. Use a hole saw of proper size to cut the peg holes in the side panels, You will need to craft a stop on the peg to keep it from sliding out of alignment. Use a Tap and Dye set (would be effortless on this soft material) with a nut and flat washer for this, or tap a small hole through the peg and place a metal bolt into it. You would not want to make this "stop mechanism" permanent because you will run out of the spool material eventually and need to replace.
For the cutting blade I would use a more sturdier blade such as spring stock with one edge finely sharpened, Take a hole punch and punch holes in the spring stock and match the hole positions in the acrylic panel with a hand drill, then use SS bolts and washers to mount the blade to the panel in it's proper position. The angle of the blade would affect how well the material is cut.
Sleek design and would look as if it were produced in China and sold to you for $35.00, although this project would cost you less than $60.00 if you already have the proper tools but you can tell someone you handcrafted it.

Last edited by Joe; 02-16-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Private

wow you are the smartests technical person on here you blow my mind
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Platoon Sargent

Bah, I just visualize it setting on the table in front of me and how I would want it to look, then I think how to make it convenient and easy to use. The real tech guys are the daily handmade machine builders, that's what I really want to do but the area I'm located in has no foundry or machine shop that can fabricate the small parts needed. Thanks though, hope you build yourself a spindle box and the tips i provided make it easier for you.

Note: 1/4 inch acrylic sheets would be sufficient, anything less would make the unit unstable and possibly collapse.

Last edited by Joe; 02-16-2010 at 12:58 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Recruit

soo about the dispenser iv never seen 1 but you could just take a box as big as the normal 1 and cut a slit in it...maybe draw some flash on it to make it look cool..like this box is what i use (shop owner supply's this) but all it is is a box with slit cut in it and this is dust free. http://www.searssupply.com/browse.cf...ml:naka::naka:

Tags
sleeve, tube