Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Corporal

Default Re: critique of pencil work please...

i think your highlights could be more subtle, and you always put the light source from the same...well...source.

mix it up !
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Field Marshal

you could also try using a tan or light gray paper and use a white colored pencil to build up your highlights. I find this can sometimes be easier to visualize.

well i guess all those fine arts classes didn't hurt
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Weaksauce
Corporal

It would be cool if we could get together sometime and go over some basic drawing techniques. I haven't done something like that in ages.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Field Marshal

::looks left... then right:: me?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Weaksauce
Corporal

LOL, no. Our college would have a "sketch-fu" night. Everyone would find somewhere to crash an they would have things available to sketch. Each year they'd bring things like horses an stuff on campus. Heh, horses in the middle of ghetto-brooklyn. That was a sight to see.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 AM
crocmaster
Corporal

this thread made me want to do a finished pencil drawing...so i did.
that is something i haven't done in at least 3 years.
i'll try and post it for you guys
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Field Marshal

since we are all sharin!!!! here is a micron pen and pencil...about 16x24 in real life. this is pretty recent for me, probably about 6 months ago. i never really did any black and grey stuff or any fantasy type stuff, i do a lot of neo traditional type stuff and bright/bold colors.... but it was pretty fun. check it.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Private

Thumbs up Re: critique of pencil work please...

Well I sure appreciate the feedback this thread has brought.....thank you for all the tips, and yes all I draw with so far is just the ol' #2 pencil and I did get my hands ons some prisma color pencils just before christmas havent had time to settle down for a good project to use them on but will.Actually, my standard rule for the past year has been "discipline" I realized when I started getting back into tattooing that I was half ass doing it ......so for the past year I've either drawn, study, or tattoo everyday, if only for an hour. Makes a big damn difference. Things are finally calming down from the holidays for me, so I can get back on my regime lol. I'm not sure what you were talkin' about with the "get together and go over some basic drawing techniques"......but I noticed your in Woodstock and I'm just above Gainesville, I'm always up for a anything art related......I stand on the belief "that you never stop learning".
Thanks again guys for the feedback, I WILL put all advice into effect.

Peace Brothers, Rick
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Weaksauce
Corporal

Ah yeah, I was just saying it's pretty hard to learn techniques without other people around you that are showing you. Check out this site. It has tons of links to artists sites and you can see the different methods of sketching used.

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=8864
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Corporal

lesson picked up from ed lee: try using light grey colored pencils for blending and lighter shades kind of unusual at first but works awsome

Tags
critique, pencil, work