Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Corporal

Default Re: cutback shaders

man when it comes to voltage the only parameter to determine what's right is you.
I saw Shiege running his shader at 13 volts, the noise was scary. His work was smooth as hell.
In the other hand I've see Bob Tyrrell running his machines at low voltage very soft and doing portraits with a 5 mag only!.

Nothing can determine what's good for you but your own pace.

Cutbacks run better with a short throw very fast (this is the purpose of the setup)
But these days the concept of liner and shader is pretty much a "whatever you like"

I do not have anything setup specifically as a liner, all I use is the same setup for everything, liner, color, grey. I just get the machine to run how I want it by adjusting the voltage.

A few years ago if you didn't outline with a liner or shaded with a shader you would have been considered a person that is doing the job wrong.

These days, people are experimenting and using setups that are strange to some of us but the result that these people get from them are outstanding for their style.

In other words, dare to try everything and please DO NOT GO BY THE BOOK.
Gaston -FK Irons
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
this is a cut back

This looks like a mid-cut so it may work as a shader. My cutback liners are set up where the contact screw is in alignment with the center of the front coil core.
Nice looking machine.
The top machine definitely is not a cut back, but looks nice as well.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Private

I tried the cutback shader and I must say I like better for light grays. here is a picture of my first attempt with the cutback. it still needs a second sitting. just to clean up the hair and to saturate the blacks better.

this is my 3rd attempt at portraits.

Last edited by styles; 03-09-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
thats not a cut back!!!! cut back refers to the front spring being "cut back" a cutback machine has a very short front spring, being short makes it very stiff, allowing it to run very fast.
actually in the truest sense of the word, a cutback is a frame modification, not spring modification. if that were the case you could just put smaller springs on all your machines to make em cutbacks.... a good example of a cutback is the spaulding supreme frames that were "cut back" to make the old rollomatics... and now modeled after that (for a good visual reference the luckys rollomatics. notice the huge "cutback" in where the binding post and contact screw are... http://www.luckysupply.com/shop/form...tid=&listid=23 the shorter spring is just a result of that modification.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Private

yeah, cutback shaders are built to run fast and steady but soft enough to layer with. If you're going to be technical about it they would have the frame upright cut back so that you can run shorter front springs for faster speeds but the Carlton "cutback shaders" aren't really cut back frames at all but the short throw and O ring on a relatively stiff front spring make it run fast and smooth. I use them everyday, love them for both color and b&g but it does take a sec to get used to them if you use traditional shaders.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Private

Everyone says different. Josh Carlton uses a cutback shader and he has a long front spring on it and it runs around 105-110. Basically it has to have a short stroke so the dots are closer together to get smoother shades.

You can also use a short spring and make it faster or slower by using different gages. A short front spring can be set to a long, short or medium stroke and make a long stroke run the same speed as a short stroke. Point is you can make your machine run any way you want it to by knowing springs and the machine. Length , width and gage will determine how it runs and the speed. Sorry if im confusing some of you but its to much to explain on here but im sure you get what i mean. The machine up there looked like it had a longer stroke with a short spring and a cutback shader is a short stroke to get dots closer. Josh C machine ran at 108 with a long front spring and short stroke so there is no specific look i guess im saying and knowing about springs and machines will help to make a machine run how you want it too. Thats just my thoughts on it and my Opinion.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Private

Most people running cutback's such as joshua carlton use the needle flush to the tube and run it fast and between 6-8 volts... Its supposed to be speedy with a short stroke used with a fast hand movement to not rip up the skin
Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Private

Yeah i know , i speak to josh all the time. I wouldnt really call that fast though just because 125 - 150 some run there machines at and that i would call fast. Technically just making it a short stroke dont make it fast. It depends what springs are on it cause the front spring controls speed not volts or stroke. Yes volts or changing stroke may make a small jump in speed but the front spring is how you set true speed.

My point was basically what you said, that a short stroke is a cutback shader or atleast thats what josh said so the dots are closer together. So having a long front spring dont mean its not set to a cutback shadet cause thats how josh sets his up, its all about the tuning. Everyone has there own opinion though like everything with machines and tattooing I guess no one is wrong or right. Anyone else wants to give there opinion on this please do lets figure this out
Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Private

Yeah he does say on his dvd that HE refers to it as a cutback shader because of the very short stroke but traditionally a cutback does refer to a short spring and a cutback frame as with everything in tattooing its opinons
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Corporal

Seth Cifferi makes a nice cutback shader available at workhorse irons

Tags
cutback, shaders