View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Private

Default Re: Just Cause YOu Tattoo Doesn't Mean You Have To Look Like It..., Does It?

I am not a tattoo artist. I wish I could be. I haven't drawn in years. If I started and got back into it full time I would like to try and learn tattooing. But I don't see that as something I want to do forever. I like computers, graphic design and building s&!t so thats what I do. I have tattoos. They are not visible past my shoulders...yet.
I will say seeing a person with tattoos tattooing doesn't determine them as an artists. Their portfolio and their rep. determine them. I just got a tattoo from a guy who has a full sleeve...its bad ass...He sucks as an artist. No creativity outside of the original design. My wife quite going to him after only line work because he was unorganized and showed no interest.
I had another piece done on my back by another kid at the shop and he's like 18 and did amazing on it. His dedication shows. His portfolio shows. He started tattooing with his dad too. I sadly had to switch shops because of presumed tension with the artists that f'd off on my wifes chest piece. The new shop we went to has amazing artists and a friendly atmosphere. They are excited about tattoos and designs. They are not all tattooed up but for the most part they are. They all seem to be artists outside of the machine too. Artwork and drawings around their work spaces. They don't like flash but rather draw custom work. The girl that is fixing and finishing my wife's piece is amazing. Her tattoos pop out and look vivid. I thought of Brandon's talk immediately when he says that the tattoos need to pop and jump off the skin at you. Thats what that shop has.

So an artists covered in tattoos doesn't make the artists, it may help them learn how to do things differently or how to not have a heavy hand, but does not make them an artists. Anything you do and want to do you have to sink yourself into. Also the people looking at you thing. I mean really, how old are you. People stare thats what they do. Most people are D-Bags. I get stared at all the time I have Pit Bulls and Shirts that say to ban Stupid People not Dogs. I also get compliments on them. When I have my shirt off people stare at my tattoos as well. I also get random people that say man thats awesome or where did you get that done thats sweet.
So Tattoos and Individuality are a badge man. Wear that s&!t with pride. If you are not proud of what you do then don't do it. If you are not proud of who you are in what you do then change your situation and yourself to fit the way you want to be. Maybe I am coming across as a d**k in this and going off topic in some spots thats just my opinion. Like I said I am not a tattooist. I have mad respect for people that are. If you are covered from head to toe or not you make the artwork and reputation for yourself.

Also that Arm piece you did is nice.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote