View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Recruit

Default Re: Linework: Not Blown Out, but Not Crisp

Thanks for all the feedback. An update:

I had been using King Pin 5's previously and had semi-recently switched over to the Need Jig 5's. I LOVE everything Needle Jig that I've used previously (flat 7 mags, curved 9 mags, 8 rounds...) so I assumed the 5's were fine and that wasn't be the issue.

I feel like a moron for not thinking of it sooner but I'm pretty sure the needles were the issue. My mentor was a confused that I didn't mention to him that I switched 5's recently and was certain that was the issue (along with what people here seemed to be saying). Rookie mistake: never assume every batch of needles is okay.

So I had my mentor do a tattoo with one of the Needle Jig 5's I had been using. He put in 2 lines before he stopped, said "Dude these are junk, I can't feel anything I'm doing with these...", and switched out the needle to a King Pin 5. HA! That was exactly my problem: couldn't feel anything to gauge depth

I swapped to one of his King Pin 5's (what I had been using for months) and the tattoo I did today went in smooth and easy.

Upon looking under a magnifying glass, it looks like the Needle Jig liners are crazy loose. There's basically no taper, they almost looks like a round shader.

So I have some Tat Soul 5's in the mail (heard good things) and am re-ordering more King Pin 5's right now. Hopefully that solves the mystery! I liked everything Needle Jig until this, I guess every company has bad batches though. I'll post again once I get the new needle and make sure that was the issue.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote