All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio

All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First Tattoo. Looking for Artist, Feedback, etc... (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6317)

Indy21 01-27-2011 06:52 PM

First Tattoo. Looking for Artist, Feedback, etc...

Hello, I'm searching for an artist to do my first tattoo.

Everything and anything I know about tattoos I've learned from the Internet so please don't flame me if I sound ridiculous, please. =)

I've wanted a tattoo for years now and Ive been sure of what I want for awhile now.

I would like to find a artist that can put a full Lion head on my right bicep. I want it to be a realistic looking piece, i think I've heard of this style being called a 'portrait' tattoo on the internets. Not 100% on that.

I'm not fully prepared to get the piece done right away, I will be saving up what money I can in the coming months, so it may take awhile.

I'm just trying to get a head start on the 'who' and 'where' I may go to have the job done.

I live in Birmingham AL, so Atlanta is not that far of a drive and from what I've seen on the Internet, it seems you guys are a very reputatble place. Not to sure about some of the places locally. I started out looking at cloud9south here downtown but then someone told me they were s&!tty, funny thing was, I thought her tattoos looked like s&!t personally, so wouldn't really use that as a reference.

I put my request out on a few widespread tattoo forums and a few people suggested I see Tom Renshaw for Realistic Wildlife tattoos. So I visited his site and his work is just incredible! I gave him a call and talked with him about what I was going for and he was a real cool guy to talk to over the phone answering all my questions and everything.

The only problem with getting a piece done by Tom is that (A) he's in Michigan so I couldn't even afford to GET to him! And (B) from what it sounded like In our discussion, it probably wouldn't be under $1000 for one of his tattoos, size being a relative factor in price as well.

So, a little disheartened about thinking of ways to come up with money and travel and explaining to the wife this crazy idea I have I decided to look for something more 'local', southeastern area atleast.

Anyways, apologies for my ranting on and on. What artist at All or Nothing would be the best for a portrait, realistic, Lion piece? Or is there somewhere else I should be lookin? *I know that's a dumb question to ask here, hehe.

Looking for:

(1) Reputable Realistic Wildlife Tattooist (<<is that a word???).

(2) I want this on my right Bicep, possibly as large as reaching the shoulder a little bit but not low enough to be seen below the elbow.

(3) Black and grey ink.

(4) Some idea of price. I know there are varying factors that can alter price but just give me something close. I really would like to stay within the $500 range if that's even possible for good quality work.

I understand that if you want a great tattoo, that you should be willing to pay whatever for it but I'm not rich and I do have a family to feed my self so can't go broke of silly daddys tattoos, =).

If I can figure out how to do it later tonight I'll try and post up some examples of what Id like from what I've found scouring the Internet for the past year it seems.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Awaiting your knowledgable feedback!

UFC_fan 01-27-2011 07:58 PM

Re: First Tattoo. Looking for Artist, Feedback, etc...

price is relative...so many factors come into play. but if your looking for something that will fill up the bicep i'd say roughly $400-$700...but thats just a guess. I paid about $400 for my inner arm portrait. A lot depends on the size of your bicep and how much effort the tattoo process will take. I think $500 will get you a pretty kickass tattoo...especially from the guys at All or Nothing.

Its hard to say which artist would do the best work for this style of tattoo only because they are all so damn good! i couldnt pick just one...thats why i've had work done by Tony and Short...and soon i want to book Vince. you wont be dissapointed....the AON artists are amazing!!

UFC_fan 01-27-2011 08:03 PM

good luck!!

Indy21 01-27-2011 08:36 PM

Ok, thanks for the reply!

Looking through the portfolios, I was having trouble choosing anyone specific as well, that's why I thought it would be good to maybe get some first hand suggestions.

Thanks.

Bufferkiller 01-27-2011 09:09 PM

Go through the portfolios of the artists on here, and their Facebook/Myspace pages. Find one you like (really any of the AoN artists will blow your mind) and come out to meet with one. Sit down, talk about what you're looking for and your price range. They'll let you know what they can and/or cannot do in that range.

Short did an amazing lion tattoo on his cousin a while back that I love.

http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/ga...l_lion_web.jpg

Indy21 01-27-2011 10:41 PM

That's pretty amazing! Although I'm not a big fan of the colored tattoos it still looks great!

Indy21 01-27-2011 10:45 PM

IMG_4033.JPG

testing...

Just seeing if the picture worked, I'm having to do this from my phone because my computer is down.

Edit: I see it didn't work =\

Bufferkiller 01-28-2011 12:27 AM

You'll have to link the picture from a site. Can't upload them into posts.

DrayBono 01-28-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufferkiller (Post 67528)
Go through the portfolios of the artists on here, and their Facebook/Myspace pages. Find one you like (really any of the AoN artists will blow your mind) and come out to meet with one. Sit down, talk about what you're looking for and your price range. They'll let you know what they can and/or cannot do in that range.

Short did an amazing lion tattoo on his cousin a while back that I love.

http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/ga...l_lion_web.jpg

its hard to say for certain because of the black out...but is that tattoo backwards??

I Wanna Be Dope 01-28-2011 01:17 PM

I think backwards is all realative to what the customer wants.I have tried before to convince them what way looks correct and some just insist on it being there way