Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers
 
HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
  #1  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 AM
paul_tattoo's Avatar
paul_tattoo paul_tattoo is offline
Member
Private
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 30
Default Needle bar bending

I've heard people mention before in trade magazines etc. about bending the needle bar and even the needle grouping before setting the machine up, but no one has ever mention why this helps. I have recently purchased a liner from a good machine builder here in the UK, it runs pretty quick and hard-hitting at about 7.5 volts, but spits pretty badly, I have tried adjusting the elastic band tension, and have bent my needle bars until they resemble exactly the same shape as in the Mike DeVries "lets be realistic book" but still spitting. The solder on the needle grouping is smooth as well. I have been told why the ink is spitting, but not how to stop it. Is it just a case of messing around with different bends until I get it right or is there a magic solution to stop a machine spitting. I use disposable tubes, if that makes any difference.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:11 AM
sickradsean's Avatar
sickradsean sickradsean is offline
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 382
Default Re: Needle bar bending

from my experience the machine doesnt affect the spitting. its either your needles or your tubes. bending the needle bar just changes where the needle sits within the tube tip. IE instead of hanging in the center of the tip you can get it to rest on the back of the tip so that the needle moves around less. this COULD influence spitting, but not unless youve bent the crap out of the bar. id try those needles in a stainless tube and then other needles in the plastic tubes, to try to eliminate what the real problem is. good luck.
__________________
when you gotta shoot, shot. dont talk.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 AM
travelingtom's Avatar
travelingtom travelingtom is offline
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 1,116
Default Re: Needle bar bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickradsean View Post
from my experience the machine doesnt affect the spitting. its either your needles or your tubes. bending the needle bar just changes where the needle sits within the tube tip. IE instead of hanging in the center of the tip you can get it to rest on the back of the tip so that the needle moves around less. this COULD influence spitting, but not unless youve bent the crap out of the bar. id try those needles in a stainless tube and then other needles in the plastic tubes, to try to eliminate what the real problem is. good luck.

sorry dude, but this is untrue. i bet 90% of your problem is too much rear spring tension, and 10% thin inks. usually happens with grey wash or thin blacks. back the contac screw out a little bit, or replace the rear spring with a thinner one. i had that happen to me a couple times while setting up some machines for friends.
__________________
www.myspace.com/tomdeibler

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
paul_tattoo's Avatar
paul_tattoo paul_tattoo is offline
Member
Private
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 30
Default Re: Needle bar bending

Cheers for the advice, will try it out soon as I get chance.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 AM
SJRabbit's Avatar
SJRabbit SJRabbit is offline
Senior Member
Field Marshal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Needle bar bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_tattoo View Post
I've heard people mention before in trade magazines etc. about bending the needle bar and even the needle grouping before setting the machine up, but no one has ever mention why this helps. I have recently purchased a liner from a good machine builder here in the UK, it runs pretty quick and hard-hitting at about 7.5 volts, but spits pretty badly, I have tried adjusting the elastic band tension, and have bent my needle bars until they resemble exactly the same shape as in the Mike DeVries "lets be realistic book" but still spitting. The solder on the needle grouping is smooth as well. I have been told why the ink is spitting, but not how to stop it. Is it just a case of messing around with different bends until I get it right or is there a magic solution to stop a machine spitting. I use disposable tubes, if that makes any difference.
like tom said it's either your rear spring or your Ink, "Starbrite" use thicker ink
or try running that machine even lower, ????What do you have it set up for??????

I bend mine, mostly cause that is what and how i learned, I can't Tattoo with my bar straight just feels weird to me...........Check Machine Gun Mag.....there a better source then most of us anyway
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
paul_tattoo's Avatar
paul_tattoo paul_tattoo is offline
Member
Private
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 30
Default Re: Needle bar bending

It's set up to line with a 3 or 5 liner. Runs just above 7 volts. Have been meaning to buy machine gun magazine and also the tuning book from infinite irons, but am in the progress of re-locating half way across the country and am waiting for licenses to be sent out etc. I use eternal ink, and it doesn't spit when running below 7 volts, but doesn't put a line in either, so will probably try thinner back spring first
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Bufferkiller's Avatar
Bufferkiller Bufferkiller is offline
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: Needle bar bending

When I was 17, and apprenticing at a small shop in the middle of nowhere, an artist from another shop came by to hang out and talk shop and what-not. He had burned down his place and was traveling and junk. Kept talking about bending his needles and boiling down and remixing his own black inks. I don't remember if he was truly any good, or if he was just full of himself, but in my head those two things were things that all great artists were supposed to do.

He also said something about the black ink Black Magic being horrible and how he'd never use it.


None of that helps with the thread, I just wanted to add it. And I was not an artist. I pierced.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 AM
SJRabbit's Avatar
SJRabbit SJRabbit is offline
Senior Member
Field Marshal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Needle bar bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufferkiller View Post
When I was 17, and apprenticing at a small shop in the middle of nowhere, an artist from another shop came by to hang out and talk shop and what-not. He had burned down his place and was traveling and junk. Kept talking about bending his needles and boiling down and remixing his own black inks. I don't remember if he was truly any good, or if he was just full of himself, but in my head those two things were things that all great artists were supposed to do.

He also said something about the black ink Black Magic being horrible and how he'd never use it.


None of that helps with the thread, I just wanted to add it. And I was not an artist. I pierced.
hahahaha your crazy
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Bufferkiller's Avatar
Bufferkiller Bufferkiller is offline
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: Needle bar bending

It is stuck in my head. I always look to see if artists bend the needles, but never catch them. It's like someone telling you not to split a pole when walking with a friend. If you hear that when you're a kid, regardless of how stupid it is, something will keep making you avoid doing it.

That guy was treated like a f@#king local tattoo legend, but I cannot remember if he was really any good, or just good compared to everyone else around him.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 AM
SJRabbit's Avatar
SJRabbit SJRabbit is offline
Senior Member
Field Marshal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Needle bar bending

hummm..........now you will rack your brain for hours trying to think of the guys name

But it is funny to watch some guys hide crap like bar bending.....Among other things......some are Like Lance Burton and s&!t
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bar, bending, needle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Zoints SEO v2.3.0 by Zoints & Computer-Logic.org

| Home | Tattoos | Art | Publications | Messageboard | Links | Studio | Tattoo Articles | Driving Directions |
| New Pictures | Tattoo & Piercing Aftercare | Link to Us | Media |

Don't forget to check out:
| A.N.T.I. Art Elite | A.N.T.I. Art Atlanta |Atlanta Tattoo Tv|BrandonMFBond.com| Atlanta Pitbull Rescue
| StrangleHold Merch | TattooingAtlanta | Brandon Bond | Dave Mf Tedder |
Matt Dunlap |

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2004-2013 by All Or Nothing Tattoo And Art Gallery.
2569 S. Cobb Dr., Smyrna, Ga. 30080 - Phone: 770.435.9966